There are different iterations when we talk about climate-controlled storage units. The system can ensure they don’t fall below or rise above a pre-determined temperature. These facilities make sure that the environment is being regulated. To fulfill a need to store temperature-sensitive goods such as food and pharmaceuticals, climate-controlled storage is for you. This type of storage is built for a specific range of temperature, whether its extreme cold, heat, or humidity.
While this may look promising, what are the things to must consider before deciding to get or rent one? is there anything to be concerned with? Don’t worry though, in this article, we will run you through climate-controlled storage units and as well as the things that should be stored in these storage units.
It is a storage unit designed to keep humidity levels and temperature at a steady pace. Another name for climate-controlled storage is “temperature-controlled storage”. The ideal temperature of the storage unit should be between 55°C and 85°C. It should be noted that temperature should remain constant in the storage unit.
When it comes to optimizing the climate in space, temperature and humidity are important quantities. Excess heat and humidity result in moisture built-up. To prevent moisture build-up, temperature and humidity must be kept under control.
Items That Are Stored in a Climate-Controlled Storage?
The kind of items you put in the storage unit will be the ones to show the true benefits of climate control. Generally, climate-controlled conditions can cater to almost all kinds of items.
Some items, however, definitely need this type of storage unit more than the other items to prevent any sort of possible damage.
You might be wondering, what kind of items truly do need to use the climate-controlled storage? Luckily, this list below can show you the items that need to be stored in a climate-controlled storage environment.
- Furniture: This goes to any furniture made out of metal, wicker, leather, or upholstery. This also applies to all wooden objects (basically anything made with wood). If there is moisture, then there is a risk of wood beginning to crack or warp and then eventually rot. If leather or soft furnishings are left in damp conditions for long periods, then they are also vulnerable to mold growth. Any item with elements of leather, wood, or fabric can also have a similar fate. It’s not only furniture that has this type of issue. It will be a big challenge to get rid of the odor that comes with mold if mold is formed.
- Electronics: In humid conditions, the connections in electronic items will start to rust. The device has a big chance of not working due to rust that can reduce conductivity. Investing in climate-controlled storage comes in handy for electronics since they are expensive most of the time.
- Artwork and Antiques: These can be damaged by moisture and mold. Depending on the materials used, antiques are at risk from humidity too. This can cause rust, warping, or cracking. Artworks and antiques are a perfect example of the type of items that need climate-controlled storage protection.
- Documents and Photographs: Do not carelessly store important documents or irreplaceable photographs in non-climate controlled conditions. This could be a recipe for disaster. Paper and backings have a huge risk of warping if it is affected by moisture. It can even disintegrate while still stored. Controlled-climate storage can protect your essential photos and financial records.
- Musical Instruments: Storing musical instruments in damp conditions can cause damages beyond repair. This is because these items usually contain either electronics or wood.
- Wine: Too high or too low temperatures can spoil your wine. Between wines, the ideal conditions for it may vary. Usually, though, they should be stored between 55 and 68 Fahrenheit. The humidity can also pose an issue for wine bottles that are kept in long-term storage.
- Collectibles: These can be damaged too. Be careful when putting your collectibles (like comic books or stamps) in storage. Paper is susceptible to moisture and thus can spread to your collection of comic books. To add insult to injury, it can lead it to lose a lot of its value. If not stored in the proper conditions, even your coins can rust as well. In general, any collectibles must be properly stored in the right conditions. You should especially take care of the ones with a lot of value.
- Clothing: If stored in standard units, your fabric or leather can even suffer from mold or mildew. You might be throwing out your clothing after bringing it out of long-term storage if this happens. Climate control storage can help you if you have large amounts of clothing that have special care needs.
- Household Appliances: Even these can still suffer after long periods. They have better protection against water compared to ordinary electronics, however.
- Makeup and Toiletries: Excess heat or damp conditions can damage makeup. Your cosmetics and toiletries can suffer from heat to the point of becoming unusable. This is because the heat can cause the oils and water in cosmetics and toiletries to separate.
There is always a risk of damage for any kind of item that doesn’t meet the ideal storage conditions. A lot of issues can happen, such as items getting discolored or the metal rusting. Pests could even discover a way to get into your storage unit. You’ll have fewer problems with your stored possessions if you have climate controls.
Mildew, when exposed to harsh environmental conditions, can even form on the moving boxes you collected. This can especially happen when the harsh environmental conditions fluctuate.
Other Points to Consider About Renting a Storage Unit
There are other factors as to why a climate-controlled unit can be beneficial. The conditions in the unit may go through a drastic change for long-term storage. Climate control can help reduce problems if the storage facility is located in a hot or humid area. Temperature controls can reduce moisture damage that directly affects your items.
You should be relatively fine, though, if you only need storage for a short period (maybe around a month or two), especially if you don’t have any items to store from the list above. It is important to understand how to pick a storage unit properly.
What is the Price for a Climate-Controlled Storage Unit?
For climate-controlled storage units, it’s important to prepare to pay an increase in monthly rental costs. Compared to a standard unit, this is around 50% more than that. The rent for a self-storage unit is around $88.85 in an average monthly cost. That is, $120 is the price per month a climate-controlled storage unit would cost.
The reason why these storage units are more expensive is due to their maintenance. This involves regulating humidity and temperature requires additional systems to be installed, powered, and maintained. Consider spending the extra if you think your items could be more vulnerable to damage. It will help make your valuables still be in good condition.
AKCP Wireless Remote Monitoring with Wireless Temperature Sensors
Using AKCP wireless temperature sensors, you can remotely monitor your climate-controlled storage in real-time. These sensors are also durable with a long-range and low power for battery life of up to 10 years. Distribute sensors in your climate-controlled storage. The sensors then will log and broadcast its gathered data into the, with regular intervals, to the nearest Wireless Tunnel Sensor Gateway. Logged data could be easily accessed through its user interface AKCPro Server. The sensors immediately send alerts to operators once temperature and humidity exceed the set threshold.
AKCP Wireless Temperature sensors aren’t only limited to your climate-controlled storage unit. You can install it in reefers or delivery trucks to monitor and track the logistic of the items or goods. With a GPS link, it can do live tracking and monitoring of refrigerated delivery vehicles.
Many of our items are prone to damage if not stored properly well. You probably have a general idea of how beneficial climate-controlled storage is. While it may be costly, think of it as a huge investment that can take care of your priceless items.
However, you must be sure that you are choosing the right storage unit for your collection. This is not just about choosing a storage facility. This is also about the capacity of the storage. The facility monitoring system has to be considered well. The monitoring system will keep you updated and your items safe. Before making a final decision, make sure you have enough information so your items will have the best storage unit possible.
For Climate-Controlled Storage Monitoring inquiries, send your email to email@example.com.